LASER AND PIN POINT USED TO BRING OUT THE INFO
ABOVE IS FROM THE SOFTWARE WHICH SHOWS ONLY THE ORIGINAL
NOTE CAMP LEE VIRGINIA AND 145TH INFANTRY REGIMENT
YEARS 1917/1918. WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT IS IN THE HISTORY
OF THE 145TH INFANTRY REGIMENT WORLD WAR ONE
A R. “AL” SHEAMORE
CAMP LEE VIRGINIA FINAL TRAINING
The 145TH was the old 5th Ohio Infantry. Colonel Charles X. Zimmerman, commanding officer since 1899 was replaced in 1917 by Colonel A. W. Davis, who commanded the Regiment for a few months until he was succeeded later in the same year (1917) by Colonel S. B. Stanbery. Colonel Stanbery was in turn followed in 1918 by Colonel Frank C. Gerlach.
The 145th trained at Camp Sheridan, five miles outside Montgomery, Alabama until May 1918. The Regiment was then moved to a staging area at Camp Lee, Virginia, and later to the Hoboken (New Jersey) Port of Embarkation. It sailed on its first oversees duty June 8, 1918, destined for action in France and Belgium, and additional service in Germany. B. Lorraine Operations (Baccarat)
The 145th Infantry arrived at Brest, France, on June 22, 1918. The American Expeditionary Force in France at this time was engaged in training and construction work, with some units holding a quiet sector near Balfert, not far from the French-Swiss Frontier. The 145th Infantry moved promptly to the Bourmont Area (Haute Marne Department), east of Paris, where it engaged in intensive training for about a month.
On July 22, 1918 it was ordered with the 37th Division to the Baccarat Sector, in the Vosges Mountains about 30 miles southeast of Nancy. There it was attached to the French VI Corps, French Eighteenth Army. The 145th Infantry first entered the front line trenches on August 4, 1918, in the Baccarat Sector. The fighting for the most part consisted of raids and patrol work. This tour of duty lasted about six weeks, and came to an end on September 16. C. Meuse-Argonne Offensive Upon relief from the Baccarat Sector, the 145th Infantry, with the rest of the 37th Division, moved to the U.S. First Army area, taking station at Recicourt (Meuse Department), westward from its previous station, on September 21, 1918. It was now attached to the U.S. V Army Corps. More than four years of bloody and terrible fighting over Belgium and northeastern France had resulted in a deadlock between Germany and the Allied Nations.
On September 26 the last great Allied offensive of the war began in the Meuse- Argonne Forest area. It was this attack that started the Germans on their final retreat leading to collapse. On September 23 the 37th Division relieved the 79th Division in the Avocourt Sector. The 145th Infantry was initially in the 37th Division reserve in the Montfaucon-Avocourt area. When the Meuse-Argonne Offensive started the regiment moved into the front line. In this battle the 145th Infantry distinguished itself in the capture of Montfaucon, an action so heroic that it has been commemorated in the Regimental Coat of Arms by a falcon, representing the town which bears the name Falcon Mountain, or Montfaucon.
Following the Monfaucon action the 145th Infantry was relieved on October 1, 1918, returning to the vicinity of Recicourt (Meuse Department), where it remained for two days. On October 3 the Regiment moved to the U.S. Second Army Area and was attached to the U.S. IV Corps. On October 7 it relieved an infantry regiment of the 89th Division in the Pannes Sector, and remained in the front line for ten days, until relieved by a regiment of the 28th Division on October 16, 1918. D. Ypres-Lys Far to the northwest, near the English Channel, a new allied offensive was in progress.
The Regiment moved on October 18 to the Ypres Area, in western Belgium, arriving on October 21. In this sector the regiment participated in two major attacks. With the 37th Division it was attached to the Army Of France in Belgium, being assigned to the French XXX Corps on October 28. The 145th served with this French Corps until November 7 when it was assigned to the French XXXIV Corps. Here it took part in the Ypres-Lys offensive.
It made the historic crossing of the Escault-Scheldt River which is symbolized in Regimental insignia by the wavy blue line representing the river. The 37th and the 91st were the only American Divisions to fight in Belgium, and the 145th Infantry once more distinguished itself in this action.
With the Armistice on November 11, 1918, a selected group form the Regiment made a formal entry into Brussels, capitol city of Belgium. While there King Albert of Belgium sent a barrel of whiskey to the Regiment as a token of friendship. This was followed by a formal entry inot Aix-la-Chapell, or Aachen, Germany, where the 145h Infantry first set foot on German soil. The Regiment upon being relieved by other units, hiked back to France. Further training was combined with preparations for the journey back to the United States. In late March, 1919, the Regiment sailed from France for America.
It had completed nine months of overseas service and earned three battle streamers for participation in three major operations, Lorraine, Mouse-Argonne, and Ypres-Lys.
Dijon Air Base (French: Base aérienne 102 Dijon, IATA: DIJ, ICAO: LFSD) is a Front-line French Air Force (French: Armée de l’Air air base. The base is located approximately 2 miles (3.2 km) east-southeast of Longvic; about 165 miles (266 km) southeast of Paris is one of the oldest of the Armée de l’Air, being established in 1914, having origins beginning in September 1910 as a civil airdrome.Through both 20th Century World Wars, the Cold War, and numerous crisis.Dijon Air Base is one of the oldest of the Armée de l’Air, being established in 1914, Units from the base fought in World War I
In February 1918, Patton established the AEF’s Light Tank School at Bourg, located five miles from Langres on the road to Dijon. Lacking tanks at the outset, Patton and his men were forced to make do with plywood mockups complete with a turret armed with a Hotchkiss 8mm machine gun. the entire contraption was mounted on a rocking device used to simulate movement over rough terrain while a trainee fired at a fixed target. It wasn’t until March 23 that the unit received its first shipment of ten 7.4-ton Renault light tanks, with another fifteen following in May.
The largest American advance supply depot was near Dijon. Formerly a great marsh, the tracks and warehouses were built by the A.E.F. Advance Supply Depot No. 1, Is-sur-Tille, 1918/19 . There was also a U.S. Motor Overhaul Park near Dijon. Small dots are motor cars and trucks in repair, Motor Overhaul Park, Dijon, February 12, 1919.
General Pershing (second from left) decorates
Brigadier General MacArthur (third from left)
with the Distinguished Service Cross.
Biscuit dough was rolled and biscuits punched and baked then packed for shipment at Dijon, France. On 9 December, the AEF 11th units began an eight-day march to rejoin the 6th Division near Dijon, where it remained for five months before reporting to Brest to begin the journey home. The men’s feelings of depression and homesickness were changed to pride on 10 April, 1919, when General Pershing personally decorated the 11th’s colors and pinned Distinguished Service Crosses on several men of the regiment.