William James Crowe, Jr.
MILITARY WATCH BOX
Admiral William James Crowe, Jr.
JOINT CHIEF PEN
BRONZE DIAL BADGE
WWII BRONZE WATCH FOB
William James Crowe, Jr.
Vietnamese Navy Riverine Force
Commander & Chief
Joint Chiefs Of Staff
USS Lyman K. Swenson
Allen M. Sumner
Named After Captain Swenson, Captain of the Juneau which was lost during the Battle of
Guadalcanal, taking with it 690 men, including Captain Swenson as well as the Five Sullivan Brothers.
Super Aircraft Carrier
READY TO WEAR
MAY BE THE ONLY ONE IN EXISTENCE
SOUTH PACIFIC COMMAND
This offer is for a collection of items related to the USA NAVY. It includes:
1) A Vintage Commaner In Chief South Pacific NAVY Timer
2) A William J. Crowe Chairman Joint Cheifs Of Staff presentation coffee cup
3) A Joint Cheifs Of Staff Parker Pen with outer box, inner presentation box, with a mint condition Cheifs Of Staff Parker Pen
4: A two page OFFICIAL NAVY presentation folder with a full page size color photo of the U.S.S. FORRESTAL CV-59 AIRCRAFT CARRIER, and an official “TRACK CHART” map with official UNITD STATES NAVY seal
5) An awesome Picture Album of 30 (60) double sided plastic insert clear plastic pages with from one large fullpage pictures to three pictites per page detailing the life of the USS Lyman K. Swenson, from its beginnings to its actions in the Pacific Theater, including Korea, and Vietnam, in both color and black and white
6) AN oRIGINAL Sailor Cap from the USS Lyman K. Swenson (DD-729)
7) A 1975 , 16 page, UNITED STATES NAVY — COMMANDER IN CHIEF U.S. PACIFIC FLEET –cincpacflt staff directory.
I WILL BEGIN THIS OFFER WITH ONE OF THE MOST OUTSTANDING FINDS IN ALL OF MY SEARCHING FOR UNIQUE WATCHES: THE GALLET EXCELLSIOR PARK JULES RACINE “J” BRIDGE MILITARY TIMER:
Gallet is the world’s oldest watch and clock making house with history dating back to Humbertus Gallet, a clock maker who became a citizen of Geneva in 1466.
- The first wristwatch with a center-originating sweep second hand for heart rate calculation (1912)
- The first wrist chronograph with a waterproof case (Gallet MultiChron, 1936)
- The first chronograph wristwatch with multiple time zone calculator (Gallet Flight Officer, 1938)
- The first miniature chronograph wristwatch for professional women (Gallet MultiChron Petite, 1939)
- The first chronograph wristwatch with additional 24 hour GMT hand (Gallet MultiChron Navigator GMT, 1945)
- The first 24 hour reading wrist chronograph (Gallet MultiChron 24, 1947)
1896 Swiss National Exposition, Geneva — Silver Medal
1905 Universal Exposition of Liege — Grand Diploma of Honor
1912 Kew Observatory, London – “A” Class Certificates, Special and Series Prizes for the Best Chronometers at Neuchâtel
1913 Kew Observatory, London – “A” Class Certificates, Special and Series Prizes for the Best Chronometers at Neuchâtel
1914 Swiss National Exposition, Berne — Grand Prize in the Chronometer category
1917 Canton Observatory, Neuchâtel — 1st Place Award for Chronometer Accuracy
GALLET WAS FAMOUS FOR CHRONOGRAPHS AND TIMERS FROM 1910 THROUGH WW1,WWII, TO KOREA & VIETNAM:
When the worldwide economic downturn of the 1930’s caused international trade to plunge by as much as two-thirds, it suddenly became unprofitable for the Gallet Company to continue production of many of its recently established brands. Gallet chose instead, to consolidate its efforts back into its primary area of expertise, that of the manufacture of high quality professional-use timepieces. Under the family name, the Gallet Company continued to flourish by providing hand-held timers and chronograph wristwatches to allied military and industrial clients during the years leading up to and through World War II.
|Artillery & Task Timer (1915) – 30 minute timer manufactured by Gallet for the British military during World War One. British Ministry of Defense “Broad Arrow” markings on reverse.
||Decimal Artillery Timer (1943) – decimal reading stopwatch manufactured by Gallet, used on Tank landing Ship #13 during the D-Day Invasion of Normandy
|Occurrence Timer (1936) – custom manufactured by Gallet for the US Geological Survey, used for measuring durations of seismic activity and other natural phenomena
||NYCRR Pocket Chronograph (1916) – pocket watch with timer manufactured by Gallet for rail road conductors and engineers of the New York Central Rail Road
|US Navy Pocket Chronograph (1914) – high quality timer manufactured by Gallet under the Jerome Park name for the United States Navy during World War One.
||Pilot’s or Cockpit Timer (1914) – watch with timer manufactured by Gallet Electa for the British military during World War One. British Ministry of Defense “Broad Arrow” markings on reverse.
AT THE OUT BREAK OF WWII, AND UP UNTIL THE GALLET DECIMAL ARTILLERY TIMER WAS INTRODUCED IN 1943, THE GALLET OCCURRENCE TIMER, CUSTOM MANUFACTURED IN 1936 FOR THE US GEOLOGICAL SURVEY, WAS THE FIRST GALLET TIMER UTILIZED BY THE US MILITARY
WWII MILITARY TIMERS
BOTH TIMERS ARE PRIMARY 60 SECOND TIMERS
SECONDARY 100 SECOND TIMERS
FURTHER, GALLET WAS A MAJOR PARTNER & BACKER WITH JULES RACINE
1864 – Léon Gallet’s brother Lucien Gallet establishes the company’s first US location in Chicago, with a New York City office following soon after Together with Jules Racine, a cousin of the Gallet brothers living in the US, the company expands its distribution to the American market
AND EXCELSIOR PARK;
Jeanneret and Fils created Usine du Parc, by 1890 the company is called Alb and produces anchor watches from 13 to 24 lines, calendar watches and chronographs under the trademarks Colombe and Diana.In 1894 the factory is renamed Jeanneret Frères and produces chronographs. On March 21th 1891 a sport stopwatch called “Excelsior” is patented by Alb. Jeanneret et Frères, it has a movement side bridge in the shape of J; which l becomes a trademark for Excelsior Park
By 1902, the company is named of Jeanneret-Brehm and Co and sells s stopwatches under the Excelsior trademark.
By 1918, The Jeanneret-Brehm company becomes Excelsior Park and offers stopwatches and chronographs .
1918 – Jeanneret-Brehm begins manufacturing under the company name Excelsior Park. Deriving the name from Jenneret-Brehm’s previously registered “Excelsior” trademark, the English variation of the French word for “park” is utilized at the prompting of Gallet to support the collaborative efforts of the two companies in their marketing focus on the American consumer. The cooperative relationship of Excelsior Park and Gallet leads to the development of a number of time recording mechanisms, including the calibre 40. These new chronograph movements are utilized almost exclusively in Gallet and Excelsior Park wristwatches, with a small number supplied to the Girard Perregaux and Zenith companies when production capabilities allowed.
Commander In Chief
United States Pacific Fleet
LET US START WITH THE
An Excelsior Park Patent of 1891 is a bridge in the shape of J .
This J bridge is the trademark of Excelsior Park.
JULES RACINE & CO
NOTICE THE WIDE FLAT BALANCE WHEEL
DID I NOT SAY WOW!
NUMERALS ARE 10 THROUGH 90 IN BLACK
100 IN RED
SUB MINUTE REGISTER
3 THROUGH 27 MINUTES IN BLACK
RED NUMERAL 30
DOUBLE CASE BACKS
OUTER CASE BACK
COMMANDER IN CHIEF
UNITED STATES PACIFIC FLEET
BRASS IN BLUE ENAMEL
WITH BLUE GREEN ENAMEL
EAGLE & FLAG
BRONZE WATCH FOB
WITH EAGLE AND ANCHOR
EMBLEM ON DIAL
ANOTHER SHOT OF BACK
THIS IS AN OBVIOUS CUSTOM WATCH
THE FOB IS ALSO AWESOME
TIMER OPERATES FLAWLESSLY
WE HAVE INVESTED IN OTHER CUSTOM TIMERS
BUT THIS IS THE FIRST NAVY EAGLE WITH ANCHOR
WE HAVE SEEN
REMEMBER THIS WAS A COSTLY WATCH
BACK IN THE DAY
THE SECOND HAND MOVES PERFECTLY
YOU CAN SEE THE MINUTE COUNTER
BEGINNING TO RECORD A HALF MINUTE
ALMOST TO 30 SECONDS WITH SECOND HAND
MINUTE REGISTER COUNTER HAND
ADMIRAL WILLIAM J. CROWE, JR.
THE JOINT CHEIFS OF STAFF
Crowe was born in La Grange, Kentucky. At the beginning of the Great Depression, Crowe’s father moved the family to Oklahoma City.
In June 1946, Crowe completed a war-accelerated course of study and graduated with the Class of 1947 from the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland.
From 1954 to 1955, he served as assistant to the Naval Aide of President Dwight D. Eisenhower. From 1956 to 1958, Crowe served as executive Officer of the submarine USS Wahoo. In 1958, he served as an aide to the Deputy Chief of Naval Operations. In 1960, Crowe took command of USS Trout, homeported in Charleston, South Carolina, and served as Commanding Officer of that ship until 1962. From there, Crowe earned a master’s degree in education at the Stanford University School of Education, and then, turning down an invitation from Admiral Hyman G. Rickover to enter the Navy’s nuclear-power course, earned an M.A. and a Ph.D in Political Science at Princeton University. During the Vietnam War he was the senior advisor to the Vietnamese Riverine Force. In 1969, he returned to service to take command of Submarine Division 31, homeported in San Diego, California.
A long string of assignments followed:
Head of East Asia Pacific Branch, Politico-Military Division, Office of the Chief of Naval Operations
Senior Adviser to the Vietnamese Navy Riverine Force
Promoted to Rear Admiral and made Deputy Director, Strategic Plans, Policy, Nuclear Systems and NSC Affairs Division, Office of the Chief of Naval Operations
Director, East Asia and Pacific Region, Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense
Commander Middle East Force
Promoted to Vice Admiral and made Deputy Chief of Naval Operations, Plans and Policy
Promoted to admiral and made Commander in Chief, Allied Forces Southern Europe
Commander in Chief, United States Pacific Command
Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
On July 10, 1985, Crowe was nominated by President Ronald Reagan to serve as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. He continued to serve as CJCS through the Bush administration until 1989 when he retired from the Navy. He was the first Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff to benefit from the Goldwater-Nichols Act of 1986 where he became, by statute, the principal military adviser to the President of the United States and the seniormost officer in the entire military establishment (across all the U.S. military branches). In 1989, his successor, Army General Colin L. Powell, replaced him as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
OUTER AND INNER BOXES
LIKE NEW PRESENTATION
PEN IS MINT AND WRITES PERFECT
NOT EVEN A DUST PRINT
NOT EVEN A DUST PRINT
SEAL OF THE JCOS
PEN FINISH IS MINT
PEN FINISH IS MINT
PEN FINISH IS MINT
The United States Pacific Command (USPACOM) is a Unified Combatant Command of the United States armed forces . It is led by the Commander, Pacific Command (CDRUSPACOM), who is the supreme military authority for the various branches of the Armed Forces of the United States serving within its area of responsibility (AOR). The chain of command runs from the President of the United States, through the Secretary of Defense, to the Commander, Pacific Command. It is the oldest and largest of the ten Unified Combatant Commands. It is based in Honolulu, Hawai’i on the island of O’ahu.
The main combat power of USPACOM is formed by U.S. Army Pacific, Marine Forces Pacific, U.S. Pacific Fleet, and Pacific Air Forces, all headquartered in Honolulu with component forces stationed throughout the region.
The USS Forrestal (CV-59), formerly AVT-59 and CVA-59, the first American aircraft carrier to be constructed with an angled flight deck, steam catapult, and an optical landing system,
The USS Forrestals was a supercarrier that was named after former Secretary of the Navy James Forrestal and was the lead ship of her class of aircraft carriers. The other carriers of her class were the USS Saratoga, USS Ranger and USS Independence. She superseded Shinano of World War II vintage as the largest aircraft carrier ever built by full load displacement and was the first to specifically support jet aircraft.
The ship was affectionately called “The FID”, because James Forrestal was the first ever Secretary of Defense, FID standing for “First In Defense”. This is also the slogan on the ship’s insignia and patch. She was also informally known in the fleet as the “Zippo” and “Forrest Fire” or “Firestal” because of a number of highly publicized fires on board, most notably a 1967 incident in which 134 sailors died and 161 were injured.
Forrestal was launched 11 December 1954 by Newport News Shipbuilding and Drydock Co., Newport News, Virginia, sponsored by Josephine Forrestal, widow of Secretary Forrestal; and commissioned 1 October 1955, Captain R. L. Johnson in command.
MINOR STAINING OUTER COVER
The Forrestal made history in November 1963 when on the 8th, 21st and 22nd, Lt. James H. Flatley III and his crew members, Lt. Cmdr. “Smokey” Stovall and Aviation Machinist’s Mate (Jets) 1st Class Ed Brennan, made 21 full-stop landings and takeoffs in a C-130 Hercules aboard the ship. The tests were conducted 500 miles (900 km) out in the North Atlantic off the coast of Massachusetts. In so doing, Forrestal and the C-130 set a record for the largest and heaviest airplane landing on a Navy aircraft carrier. The Navy was trying to determine whether the big Hercules could serve as a “Super-COD”, or “Carrier Onboard Delivery” aircraft. The problem was there was no aircraft which could replenish a carrier in mid-ocean. The Hercules was stable and reliable, and had a long cruising range and high payload.
In July 1967, Forrestal departed Norfolk for duty in waters off Vietnam. In the Gulf of Tonkin on 29 July, Forrestal had been launching aircraft from her flight deck. For four days, the planes of Attack Carrier Air Wing 17 flew about 150 missions against targets in North Vietnam from the ship. On 29 July 1967, during preparation for another strike, a Zuni rocket installed on an F-4 Phantom, misfired, impacting an armed A-4 Skyhawk, side #405, parked on the port side (U.S. Navy Judge Advocate General Investigation Report of USS FORRESTAL Incident). The rocket’s impact dislodged and ruptured the Skyhawk’s 400-gallon external fuel tank. Fuel from the leaking tank caught fire, creating a serious conflagration that burned for hours, killing 134, injuring 161, destroying 21 aircraft and costing the Navy $72 million
In October 1968, a routine night launch of an E-2A from VAW-123 led the way for all launches aboard Forrestal. The crew members were LCDR Paul Martin Wright (Operations Officer), LCDR James Leo Delaney (Maintenance Officer), LTJG Howard Booth Rutledge (Personnel Officer), LTJG Frank J. Frederick (Asst. Maintenance Officer), and AT1 David E. Carpenter (Avionics Dept). The flight was routine. All aircraft recovered as usual until the VAW-123 E-2A, which was the last plane to recover. The aircraft boltered and went off the angled deck and into the water, nose first. When it hit the water, the aircraft flipped over onto its back, breaking its radar dome off and sank within minutes. The dome floated and was recovered. Immediately, helicopters moved into the area for search and rescue operations. AT1 David E. Carpenter and LTJG Frank J. Frederick were rescued without serious injury. Lost at sea were LCDR Wright, LCDR Delaney, and LTJG Rutledge.
USS LYMAN K. SWENSON
WWII KOREA VIETNAM
USS Lyman K. Swenson (DD-729), an Allen M. Sumner-class destroyer, was laid down 11 September 1943 by Bath Iron Works, Bath, Maine; launched 12 February 1944; sponsored by Miss Cecelia A. Swenson, daughter of Captain Swenson; and commissioned at Boston Navy Yard 2 May 1944, Commander Francis T. Williamson in command.
USS Lyman K. Swenson (DD-729) is the only ship of the United States Navy to be named for Lyman Knute Swenson, who was the captain of the USS Juneau (CL-52). The Juneau was lost during the Battle of Guadalcanal, taking with it 690 men, including Captain Swenson as well as the five Sullivan brothers. Lyman Swenson was posthumously awarded the Navy Cross for his service.
Commissioned after the battle for the Atlantic had been decided, Lyman K. Swenson completed a Bermuda-based shakedown cruise 25 June 1944 and prepared for duty in the Pacific. Departing Boston 31 July, the new destroyer transited the Panama Canal 8 August and arrived at Pearl Harbor the 30th. After intensive training and practice in antisubmarine warfare (ASW) and antiaircraft warfare (AAW), she departed for the war zone 28 September, dropping anchor at Ulithi—her base for the next six months-on 13 October.
yman K. Swenson left Ulithi 21 October as part of DesRon 61, screening a replenishment group of 10 oilers. This group remained off the Philippines, refueling Admiral Halsey’s carrier forces while the Japanese Navy suffered its crippling defeat at the Battle for Leyte Gulf, 24 to 26 October. The destroyer then joined TG 38.4 for carrier support duties. On 30 October, while supporting operations on Leyte, she saw her first hostile action. Carriers Franklin and Belleau Wood received hits and the group retired to Ulithi for replenishment and repairs.
During much of November and December, Lyman K. Swenson screened various carrier groups engaged in the process of softening up the island of Luzon. Mid-December witnessed the rescue of four pilots and three enlisted men while on plane guard duty, and the horrors of a typhoon which generated waves 50 and 60 feet high. Though three destroyers capsized, Lyman K. Swenson emerged safely and returned to Ulithi.
The new year dawned as she steamed with TG 38.1 on a 3,800-mile raid which spewed destruction on Formosa, Luzon, and on Japanese shipping along the Vietnamese and Chinese coasts. Okinawa also received attention from the carriers’ planes before the return to Ulithi 26 January 1945. For the next 4 months aircraft and repair centers on Okinawa and the Japanese home island of Kyushu were the main targets for the strike group temporarily redesignated TG 58.1.
During the Okinawa campaign the Japanese again attacked with much of their remaining airpower. With air targets plentiful, Lyman K. Swenson shot down her first plane, a Francis, on 18 March, and destroyed her second on the 27th. This campaign also provided an opportunity for shore bombardment as she shelled Okino Daita Shima early in March, and Minami Daito Jima in April and again in June. With her sister ships, she then returned to San Pedro Bay, Leyte, to prepare fon March 1950 she again turned westward. A member of DesRon 91, she worked with the carrier USS Boxer out of Okinawa until the outbreak of the
Korean War brought immediate assignment to Korean waters. Reacting with the characteristic speed of seaborn power, her group launched the first carrier based strike against North Korea 3 July. Besides plane guard and patrol duties she also participated in shore bombardment and five support missions along the eastern coast.
Missions near Yongdok 22 to 26 July and against Chongjin in the far northeast corner of Korea 20 August were among the more successful ones.
On 12 September the Lyman K. Swenson sailed as a ship of Task Element 90.62, the Destroyer Element of the Gunfire Support Group of the Inchon Attack Force. The following day at noon the six-ship Destroyer Element stood into Inchon harbor. On the way in they encountered a mine field. Because it was low tide the mines were visible, floating on the surface. Lyman K. Swenson destroyed one mine with 40-mm gunfire.
After anchoring in assigned positions, the destroyers conducted a one-hour bombardment against observed and suspected gun positions on the island of Wolmi-do and in the city of Inchon. This reconnaissance-in-force was intended to draw the fire of North Korean batteries. Thus their location would be revealed for neutralization by destroyer or cruiser gunfire, or by air strikes. The bombardment was highly successful. The press, and later on the historians, aptly dubbed the ships of the Destroyer Element as “Sitting Ducks”. Upon retirement from the harbor, some enemy guns that had not been silenced opened up on the narrow channel through which the destroyers must pass. Shell fragments killed one officer –Lt (JG) David H. Swenson who was was buried at sea –and wounded another on board the Swenson during channel transit.
On Day, 15 September, the Swenson returned eagerly to cover the landing and shell the enemy. For their gallantry all six ships received the Navy Unit Commendation and the Korean Presidential Unit Citation.
On 23 October, Lyman K. Swenson retired to Sasebo, Japan, and then on to the United States, arriving San Diego 18 November. After 7 months at home, she again departed for Korea 18 June 1951. On this 8-month tour, and the succeeding one which began 15 September 1952, her main duties remained much the same as they had been during 1950. She took special pride in her ability to disrupt railroad and highway transportation and twice earned the praise of Vice Adm. H. M. Martin
On 12 June 1964, Lyman K. Swenson departed Yokosuka for the United States, arriving San Diego 27 July via Australia. Once home, time passed quickly until
January 1965 when she entered Puget Sound Navy Yard for overhaul. Following refresher training, she helped host four Japan Self-Defense Forces destroyers in San Diego on a summer cruise.
With orders to proceed to the troubled coast of the Republic of Vietnam, Lyman K. Swenson departed San Diego 24 August 1965 and commenced fire support operations 4 October. In her first two weeks of action she expended as much ammunition as two months of comparable duty during the Korean War in 1950. Screen and plane guard duties for carriers Independence (CVL-22) and Ticonderoga (CV-14) normally followed such periods of fire support.
Lyman K. Swenson continued on station until departing for home in January 1966. She arrived in San Diego 26 February and participated in the annual midshipmen training cruise in June. For the remainder of 1966 Lyman K. Swenson operated out of her home port of San Diego on various ASW and gunnery exercises. From. 26 January to 1 March 1967 she underwent predeployment repairs in Long Beach Naval Shipyard.
8 April saw the ship once again underway for the western Pacific. After a stop in Yokosuka, Japan, she operated in the northern Tonkin Gulf as a search and rescue unit from May through August. She escorted the carrier Constellation (CV-64) into September, then sailed once again for home. Arriving home 6 October 1967, after another successful deployment, the veteran destroyer served as an engineering school ship and was assigned availability to the Development and Training Command into 1968. She remained in the eastern Pacific through most of 1968, deploying to WestPac again late in the year, to serve there into 1969.
Lyman K. Swenson was decommissioned 12 February 1971 and then later stricken from the register 1 February 1974. Within months she was sold to Taiwan 6 May 1974 and cannibalized for spare parts.
Lyman K. Swenson received five battle stars for World War II service and six battle stars for Korean service.
SOME MORE PICS BELOW
THERE ARE 60 PAGES
OVERALL WEAR MINIMAL
AN AWESOME PIECE OF HISTORY
US NAVY COMMANDER IN CHIEF
WAR PLAN MAPS
EXCELLENT – RUNS EXCELLENT