WWII GERMAN MILITARY MINERVA
THIS HAD A LUGER BUT IT WAS SWIPED
Restored & Serviced
48MM W/O CROWN
LUXURY VINTAGE STYLE
STITCHED & PADDED
BLACK FINISHED LEATHER
MILITARY CHRONOGRAPH STRAP
GERMAN WATCH FOB
THAT OPENS FROM
WATCH & TIMER
(CASE OPENS FROM THE FRONT BOTTOM SO REMOVAL AND REPLACEMENT
CAN BE ACCOMPLISHED WHILE MOUNTED ON THE WALL!)
A SUPER COLLECTION
OF GERMAN WWII MEMORABILIA
THE COMPLETE INFORMATION
PICTURES AND HISTORY BELOW
not 4 sale
In 1858 by Charles-Yvan Robert and Hyppolite Robert began building assembling watches from using various company ébauche and parts. In 1887, Robert’s sons, Charles-Auguste and Georges-Louis, built the business into the Minerva Company. Minerva actually designed and manufactured the most critical parts, such as the movement blank, in their own engineering workshops.
The earliest Minerva wristwatch was manufactured in 1909. In 1923 Minerva introduced the No. 20 calibre with the classic and refined architecture of wrist chronographs of that era. The No. 20 had utilized a column-wheel mechanism, Breguet balance-spring and 17 jewels. Minerva earned its reputation as a manufacturer of complicated movements of exceptional quality.
In 1936, Minerva was chosen by the Third Reich to keep time during the 1936 Winter Olympics in Garmisch-Partenkirchen.
MINERVA WOULD SUPPLY A HOST OF WATCHES ROM 1935 THROUGH 1944, INCLUDING TIMERS, WRIST WATCHES, FLIGHT CHRONOGRAPH, POCKET DECK, GROUND AND FLIGHT WATCHES. THOUGH MOST WATCHES WERE SPECIFICALLY MARKED WITH D-H, KM AND OTHER GOVERNMENT CONTRACT MARKINGS SPECIFIC TO THE GERMAN MILITARY BRANCH, WATCHES SUCH AS THIS RARE JOHs HARTMANN BERLIN MINERVA POCKET WATCH CONVERSION WERE IN DEMAND BY GERMAN OFFICERS.
THIS JOHs HARTMANN BERLIN MINERVA
CAN BE REMOVED AND WORN
HANDS AND DIAL RE-LUMED
OFF-SET CASE IS 48MM
HAS A SCREW ON
CASE BACK & BEZEL
MOISTURE & DUST
HINGED TYPE CASES
CASE IS CHROME OVER BASE
IS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION
THE STRAP CHOSEN FOR THIS
MINERVA MILITARY CONVERSION
IS NONE OTHER THAN OUR
EVEN THE EXTRA KEEPER
THREAD IS NYLON
SO IT IS MADE TO LAST
CASE BACK HAS SCRATCHES
I CANNOT MAKE OUT WHAT OR WHY
THE NUMBERS 28 AND 44 ARE CLEAR
IT IS DIFFICULT TO DISCOVER WWII GERMAN MILITARY WATCHES AND MEMORABILIA, YET, WE BELIEVE, COLLECTING HISTORICAL ITEMS THAT WERE UTILIZED IN GERMANY FROM 1936 TO 1945 IS AN IMPORTANT ENDEAVOR. GSW DOES NOT PROMOTE THE THIRD REICH NOR ARE WE CELEBRATING THE THIRD REICH. WE LOOK AT THIS COLLECTION AS AN IMPORTANT HISTORICAL COLLECTION.
THIS MINERVA TIMING
IS A 100 SECOND
TIMER WORKS PERFECT
CASE IS CHROME PLATED
THIS GERMAN WATCH FOB
DATES BACK TO
CONDITION IS EXCELLENT
THIS MILITARY MINERVA
IS A CONTINUOUS RUNNING MODEL
WIND AND PUSH SLIDE
THE TIMERS RUNS
CLICK THE CROWN
THE SECOND HAND
BACK TO TWELVE
THE WATCH BEGINS
TO STOP THE WATCH
(NOTE: ALL ITEMS ARE NOT YET IN THE CASE)
GERMAN MILITARIA INCLUDED IN THE HISTORICAL
SHADOW BOX ALONG WITH THIS MAGNIFICENT ALPINA
WW2 WinterhilfswerkTalisman Innsbruck
,Hitler propagiert das Winterhilfswerk (13.09.1933) – 13.09.2010 “Unsere Groschen schaffen die Munition im Kampf gegen Hunger und Kälte” – so schrieb eine Zeitung, nachdem Hitler am 13. September 1933 das Winterhilfswerk propagiert hatte. Bald raunte man aber, dass mit den hunderten Millionen von Reichsmark auch Munition für die Aufrüstung bezahlt wurde.
Hitler publicises the winter welfare organization (13.09.1933) – 13.09.2010 ” Our groschens create the ammunition in the fight against hunger and Kälte” – in such a way a newspaper wrote, after Hitler had publicised the winter welfare organization on 13 September 1933. Soon one murmured however that with the hundreds million of realm Marks also ammunition was paid for armament.
German Soldiers in WW2 wore a Winterhilfswerk “Talisman” with names and symbols of German cities, Towns and occupied countries. The profits from sale of these “Talisman” were for poor people in winter (for coal, warm clothes, food), and, after 1941, for warm uniforms for Wehrmacht on the Eastern Front. Many soldiers wore these Winterhilfswerk tags with the names of the towns which they came from along with ID/Dog-Tags.
We chose this particular Talisman from the many that have survived due to the history of Innsbruck and its importance to all sides as an ancient cross road. In fact, it was one of the most bombed cities in the Axis territories; the Allies completed 22 Raids inflicting 461 casualties, with 3147 buildings damaged.
Besides the marshalling yards, many historic monuments were destroyed, including: the Servitenkloster monastery (1614-1616) and the Bartholomäuskapelle, one of the oldest buildings in Innsbruck (13th century). The Landhaus or old federal state parliament of 1724, city hall, St. James’s Cathedral (1717-1724), Stift Wilten monastery (1651-1667), the Jesuit Church (1627-1637) and several buildings in the historic were badly damaged.
Innsbruck is the capital city of the federal state of Tyrol in western Austria. It is located in the Inn Valley at the junction with the Wipptal (Sill River), which provides access to the Brenner Pass, some 30 kilometers (19 mi) south of Innsbruck.
Earliest traces suggest initial inhabitation in the early Stone Age. Surviving pre-Roman place names show that the area has been populated continuously. In the fourth century the Romans established the army station Veldidena (the name survives in today’s urban district Wilten) at Oenipons (Innsbruck),
The first mention of Innsbruck dates back to the name Oeni Pontum or Oeni Pons which is Latin for bridge (pons) over the Inn (Oenus), which was an important crossing point over the river Inn. The city’s seal and coat of arms show a bird’s-eye view of the Inn bridge, a design used since 1267.
Innsbruck became the capital of all Tyrol in 1429 and in the fifteenth century the city became a centre of European politics and culture as emperor Maximilian I also resided in Innsbruck in the 1490s.
In 1564 Ferdinand II, Archduke of Austria received the rulership over Tirol and other Further Austrian possessions administrated from Innsbruck up to the 18th century.
Up to 1665 a stirps of the Habsburgian dynasty ruled in Innsbruck with an independent court. In the 1620s the first opera house north of the Alps was erected in Innsbruck (Dogana).
In 1669 the university was founded. Also as a compensation for the court as emperor Leopold I again reigned from Vienna and the Tyrolean stirps of the Habsburg dynasty had ended in 1665.
During the Napoleonic wars Tyrol was ceded to Bavaria, ally of France. Andreas Hofer led a Tyrolean peasant army to victory on the Berg Isel against the combined Bavarian and French forces, and then made Innsbruck the centre of his administration.
Innsbruck was annexed by Nazi Germany in 1938. The KZ Innsbruck-Reichenau concentration camp was located here
The war ended in Innsbruck on May 3 1945, when the resistance movement liberated and units of the US 103rd Infantry Division entered the city. From December 1943 to April 1945 60 percent of the buildings in Innsbruck were damaged, 461 people were killed.
BACK SIGNED “800”
World War II
GERMAN Merit Cross 1st Class With Swords
This award was created by Adolf Hitler in 1939 as a successor to the non-combatant Iron Cross which was used in earlier wars (same medal but with a different ribbon). The award was graded the same as the Iron Cross: War Merit Cross Second Class, War Merit Cross First Class, and Knights Cross of the War Merit Cross.
The award had two variants: with swords given to soldiers for exceptional service in battle above and beyond the call of duty (but not worthy of an Iron Cross which was more a bravery award), and without swords for meritorious service behind the lines which could also be awarded to civilians.
A total of 118 awards of the Knights Cross of the War Merit Cross with swords, and 137 awards of the Knights Cross of the War Merit Cross without swords were awarded. Considering the relative rarity of the award compared with the grades of the Knights Cross of the Iron Cross, it took on extra meaning..
WWII GERMAN Totenkopf BELT BUCKLE
Why did we chose this German belt buckle in our German WWII Militaria Shadow Box that is designed to store & display this awesome German Alpina Military Watch?
Totenkopf or Totenschädel (plural: Totenköpfe or Totenschädel) is the German word for “skull of a dead man” and is used to describe a military insigne featuring a skull suprapositioned upon crossed long bones; when used in this context it is commonly known as the “death’s head” in English. It is distinguished from the similar traditions of the skull and crossbones and the Jolly Roger by the positioning of the bones directly behind the skull.
Though the Skull and Cross Bones were the symbol used by units considered “elite” -i.e. the S.S.- such as the SS Divsion who wore the Skull on one collar lapel and the SS-runes on the other, the history & use of Totenkopf is much longer.
Use of the symbol as a military insignia began with the cavalry of the Prussian army under Frederick the Great. Frederick formed Husaren-Regiment Nr. 5 (von Ruesch), a Hussar regiment commanded by Colonel von Ruesch. These Hussars adopted a black uniform with a Totenkopf emblazoned on the front of their mirlitons and wore it on the field in the War of Austrian Succession and in the Seven Years’ War.
During the Napoleonic Wars, when Frederick William, Duke of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel, was killed in battle, his troops changed the colour of their uniforms to black, with a Totenkopf on their shakos in mourning their dead leader
The “death’s head” continued to be used throughout the Prussian and Brunswick Armed forces until 1918, and some of the stormtroopers that led the last German offensives on the Western Front in 1918 used Death’s Head badges
Anton Ludwig August von Mackensen
(6 December 1849 – 8 November 1945)
The Totenkopf was used in Germany throughout the inter-war period, most prominently by the Freikorps. In 1933, it was in use by the regimental staff and the 1st, 5th, and 11th squadrons of the Reichswehr’s 5th Cavalry Regiment as a continuation of a tradition from the Kaiserreich.
The Totenkopf was also used as the unit insignia of the Panzer forces of the German Heer (Army) during the Third Reich era, and also by the Panzer units of the Luftwaffe, including those of the elite Fallschirm-Panzerdivision HG.
Flugzeug Junkers Ju 88 1940
Both the 3rd SS Panzer Division and the World War II era Luftwaffe’s 54th Bomber Wing Kampfgeschwader 54 were given the unit name “Totenkopf”, and used virtually the same graphic skull-crossbones insignia.
The British Army’s Queen’s Royal Lancers continue to use the skull and crossbones in their emblem, inherited from its use by the 17th Lancers – a unit raised in 1759 following General Wolfe’s death in Quebec,
In 1792, a regiment of Hussards de la mort (Death Hussars) was raised to defend the young French Republic from the Austrian attempt to invade France
OTHER FORCES THAT USED OR USE SIMILAR
1-South Korea’s 3rd Infantry Division
2-The primarily Prussian 41st Regiment New York Volunteer Infantry, Mustered in: June 6, 1861-Mustered out: December 9, 1865 wore a death’s head insignia
3- The Portuguese Military Police, the lancers, of the Regimento de Lanceiros 2 use a skull-and-bones image, similar to the totenkopf, in their emblem,
4-The Kingdom of Sweden’s Hussar Regiments
5- The White Russian Kornilov regiment
6- the Estonian Kuperjanov’s Partisan Battalion
7- During 1943-1945 the Italian Black Brigades and numerous other forces fighting for the Italian Social Republic,
8- United States Marine Corps Reconnaissance Battalions
9- DFSW PL (Direct Fire Support Weapons Platoon) of the 3rd Battalion RAR (Royal Australian Regiment)
10- No. 100 Squadron RAF (Royal Air Force)
GENUINE 1940 PHOTO GERMAN OFFICERS DINNER.
Though History denotes the facts of the Brutality and Horror of the Nazi Regime and War machine, many Germans, faced with dim prospects of the depression, multiplied by war reperations caused by the German folly of WWI, joined the military believing they were doing the right thing. Many of these young soldiers, as well as Officers, were ultimately slautered by the Third Reich. Hundreds of thoudsands died on the field and, ultimately, in the Russian Gulag.
We chose this original photo because it depicts German officers and enlisted men in 1940, the year when the all consuming Blitzkreig began and a Victory of a sorts permeated the peoples of Germany, when the educated as well as the illiterate were lead to belive they were superior to the world, when they were celibrating what they believed to be their moment on the world stage.
The US transferred 6,000 German officers to the Sachsenhausen concentration camp that now was under Soviet Union administration. The US also shipped 740,000 German POWs as forced labourers to France. The U.S.also chose to hand over several hundred thousand German prisoners to the Soviet Union in May 1945 as a “gesture of friendship”. One million German prisoners died in the Soviet camps between 1941 and 1952
WWII GERMAN ARMY FELDGENDARMERIE
MILITARY POLICE STALINGRAD
We chose this small portion of History to be a part of this WWII German Historical Shadow Box due to the fact it’d historical place in the German culture is larger than it’s pieces. In fact, no German Military collection would be complete without mention of this unit.
PAIR OF SHOULDER BOARDS WITH NUMBERED BUTTONS
PARTS OF A Feldgendarmerie GORGET that was worn as a breast breast plate held by thick chainse.
Courtesy of WIKI
A Feldgendarmerie gorget with a Wehrmacht uniform
The Feldgendarmerie were part and portion of the German Army of the German Empire and Third Reich for over 200 years. The Feldgendarmerie (English: Field Gendarmerie ) were the military police units of the armies of the German Empire (including the Wehrmacht) from the mid 16th Century until the conclusion of World War II.
The roots of military police in the German armed forces can be traced back to the “Proffoss”of the 16th Century, and the creation of the Feldjagerkorps zu Pferd by Friedrich II in 1740. The primary duties of the Reitendes Feldjagerkorps were to control traffic, to carry important messages, and to protect members of the royal family. Springing from this band was the Feldjagerkorps zu Fuss in 1741 which served both in the Napoleonic Wars and the Franco-Prussian War.
Early incarnations of the Feldgendarmerie came into being on an ad-hoc basis through mobilizations of the Germany army as a whole, most notably in the wars of 1866 and 1870. At the outbreak of the First World War the Feldgendarmerie comprised 33 companies. They each had 60 men and two NCOs. By 1918, the number of companies had been expanded to115 units.
Courtesy of WIKI
A Feldgendarmerie Kübelwagen on the Eastern Front in June 1943.
When Adolf Hitler came to power in 1933, Feldgendarmerie were reintroduced into the Wehrmacht. The new units received full infantry training and were given extensive police powers. A military police school was set up at Potsdam, near Berlin to train Feldgendarmerie personnel. Subjects included Criminal code, general and special police powers, reporting duties, passport and identification law, weapons drill, self-defence techniques, criminal police methodology, and general administration.
Courtesy of WIKI
Feldgendarmerie operating in occupied Russia, July 1941.
The sign says “Partisan danger ahead. Single vehicles Stop! Hold weapons ready.”.
NOTE: The Feldgendarmerie of the Waffen-SS had a more sinister nickname – “Kopf Jäger” or “Head Hunters”. The name was an obvious referral to the SS “Totenkopf” (Death’s Head) skull emblem embroidered on the front of their caps. On their head gear and shoulder boards, the SS- Feldgendarmerie wore the Waffenfarbe orange-red.
All prospective candidates served at a Feldgendarmerie command after the first term of examinations. Courses lasted one year and failure rates were high: in 1935 only 89 soldiers graduated from an initial intake of 219 candidates. Feldgendarmerie were employed within army divisions and as self-contained units under the command of an army corps. They often worked in close cooperation with the Geheime Feldpolizei (English: Secret Field Police), district commanders and SS and Police Leaders.
Courtesy of WIKI
The traditional symbol of the Feldjägers is the Prussian Gardestern
Schwarzen Adlerordens (The order of the black eagle) created by Frederick I of Prussia.
A Feldgendarmerie battalion was attached to each Wehrmacht formation. The staff officer was responsible for maintaining order and discipline, traffic control during large scale troop movements and maintaining transport routes. Each Feldgendarmerie battalion also had support personnel such as cooks, clerks, and armourers.
These battalions were equipped with motorcycles and motorcycle combinations which were armed with MG34 machine guns, Kubelwagens, Field cars such as the Horch 4×4 and 3 ton Opel Blitz lorries and a small number of armoured vehicles as a means of transport.
Personal weapons consisted of small arms such as the excellent Walther PP which was designed as a civilian police pistol (PP-Police Pistole) or the Walther PPK which was favoured by officers whereas the Luger PO8 and Walther P38 were used by other ranks. Automatic machine pistols were carried by NCOs and the Kar 98 rifle was issued but was not widely used. The MG34 and 42 were used as vehicle mounted armament for defending road blocks.
A battalion was subdivided into smaller-sized Truppen which were attached to each division or corps. A Gruppe, a section sized unit, were then assigned to specific field or local commands. Feldgendarmerie sections would also be temporarily assigned to special operations, such as anti-partisan duties. A typical Truppe attached to an Infantry or Panzer Division.
Feldgendarmerie became more popularly known by the pejorative Kettenhunde (English: chained dogs) for the gorget they wore with their uniforms.
Feldgendarmerie served on every front in the war and towards the end were more often employed as regular troops on the front-line and were involved in many desperate counter attacks and defences. Many were decorated for bravery.
During the last days of the war all Feldgendarmerie caught by the Soviets (who had offered a bounty for their capture) could expect to be shot on the spot and many were issued with a second Soldbuch (paybook) and matching ID dog tags.
If in an area where it was fairly likely that prisoners would be taken the Feldgendarm would hand their real paybook into the Felgendarmerie redirection Centre and would receive the false book and tags, which would state the soldiers status as a regular soldier. After the hostilities their real paybook and tags would be returned to them.
At the war’s end many Feldgendarmerie, specifically those who had not fallen into Soviet hands, found themselves assigned to police roles by the Allies. They wore an armband as identification which bore the legend “Wehrmactordnungstruppe” (Armed Forces Order Troop) and below this read “Military Police”. They were all armed and payment for their services came in the form of increased rations.
With the creation of the Bundeswehr in 1955, the Federal Defence Ministry searched for a new designation and adopted Feldjäger which was a traditional Prussian regiment with some military police type functions
ORIGINAL GERMAN WWII BUTTON RIBBONS
BOMBERS IN THE AIR
4 LUFTWAFFE ACES
WWII GERMAN INSIGNIA PATCHES
WWII LUFTWAFFE MECHANIC INSIGNIA PATCH
1 3RD REICH COIN
LUFTWAFFE AIR CORPS CAP BADGE
THIS ALUMINUM BADGE WAS
CURVED I GENTLY STRAIGHTENED
IT TO FIT THE CASE.
EXCELLENT – RUNS EXCELLENT
3999.00 PROFESSIONAL INSURANCE **APPRAISAL